Though the founding origins of the Saint Geronimo Royal Monastery of Yuste can be found in Plasencia and in the hermitage of San Salvador de la Sierra, situated between Cuacos and Garganta la Olla, the first construction of the complex, that we can still see today, dates back to 1402 when the owner of the land between Gilona and Vercelejo creeks (also known by the name of Yuste) gave it to the “ermitaños de la pobre vida” [hermits devoted to a life of poverty] so that they could build a monastery. The hermits later came to be known by this name. Thanks to the generosity of the Counts of Oropesa and of Plasencia, among others, the complex was expanded during the 15th and 16th centuries to what we see today. The church and the two cloisters, one Gothic and the other from the Renaissance, are from this period and make up the monumental complex of this monastery.
The history of the Monastery of Yuste would be altered in the middle of the 16th century and due to the wishes of Emperor Charles, would end its days here. On the 3 February 1557, Charles V arrived in Yuste. On 21 September 1558, the Emperor died in the palace which had been built on the southern side of the monastery.
Today, both the palace and the monastery are considered to be exceptional examples of Spanish Renaissance architecture. Monastery of Saint Jerome at Yuste was integrated into Patrimonio Nacional (National Heritage, the Spanish institution responsible for managing state-owned properties) in 2004.